Doxycycline As An Agent For 'Wound Chemotherapy'
Please register or log-in to see the video. It is free. Click here
About the Video:
Nicholas A. Giovinco, DPM, Julia Bernardini, DPM, and David G. Armstrong, DPM, MD, PhD, discuss the use of doxycycline as a potential agent for "wound chemotherapy."
Dr. Giovinco recently graduated from the New York College of Podiatric Medicine. He is a first-year resident at the Dekalb Medical Center in Atlanta and is the curator of www.DrGlass.org. Dr. Bernardini recently graduated from the New York College of Podiatric Medicine and is a first-year resident at the Metropolitan Hospital in New York City. Dr. Armstrong is a Professor of Surgery at the University of Arizona College of Medicine and is the Director of the Southern Arizona Limb Salvage Alliance (SALSA). He is the Founder of CLEAR at the Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science in Chicago.
1. Scimeca CL, Bharara M, Fisher TK, Giovinco N, Armstrong DG. Novel use of doxycycline in continuous-instillation negative pressure wound therapy as ‘wound chemotherapy.’ Foot Ankle Spec. Jun 8.
2. Hanemaaijer R, Visser H, Koolwijk P, et al. Inhibition of MMP synthesis by doxycycline and chemically modified tetracyclines (CMTs) in human endothelial cells. Adv Dent Res. 1998;12(2):114-118.
3. De Paiva CS, Corrales RM, Villarreal AL, et al. Corticosteroid and doxycycline suppress MMP-9 and inflammatory cytokine expression, MAPK activation in the corneal epithelium in experimental dry eye. Exp Eye Res. 2006;83(3):526-535.
4. Winzen R, Kracht M, Ritter B, et al. The p38 MAP kinase pathway signals for cytokine-induced mRNA stabilization via MAP kinase-activated protein kinase 2 and an AU-rich region-targeted mechanism. EMBO J. 1999;18(18):4969-4980.
5. Hoyt JC, Ballering J, Numanami H, Hayden JM, Robbins RA. Doxycycline modulates nitric oxide production in murine lung epithelial cells. J Immunol. 2006;176(1):567-572.
6. Abdul-Hussien H, Hanemaaijer R, Verheijen JH, van Bockel JH, Geelkerken RH, Lindeman JH. Doxycycline therapy for abdominal aneurysm: Improved proteolytic balance through reduced neutrophil content. J Vasc Surg. 2009;49(3):741-749.
7. Hanemaaijer R, Sorsa T, Konttinen YT, et al. Matrix metalloproteinase-8 is expressed in rheumatoid synovial fibroblasts and endothelial cells. Regulation by tumor necrosis factor-alpha and doxycycline. J Biol Chem. 1997;272(50):31504-31509.